Sunday 1 March 2015

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words .........

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words .........

Some thoughts on WORDS from our children
Can be -
Wounding
Offensive
Ruthless
Destructive
Sad

But also can be -
Wonderful
Observant
Responsive
Dazzling
Sensitive


Thoughts
It's just a bit like a roller coaster as to what comes out from their mouths and also how we are feeling at the time as to how we receive, process and deal with them.

I try to remember to praise words and phrases that come into the second category but am often "too busy" or too tired. When I respond inappropriately to words in the first category it is because I am "too busy", too tired, too angry or too upset. Yet I often wonder what is an appropriate way to respond to offensive and hateful language. As they get older we try to talk a bit about their feelings when they are calmer, but it doesn't always work!

1 comment:

  1. I totally get this, my youngest has a caustic tongue at times. Sometimes it washes over me other times it pierces to the the core. I am try to educate him in what is considered an appropriate and inappropriate way to speak to people but the words head and brick wall spring to mind. If you have any luck please let me know. Thanks for sharing on #WASO

    ReplyDelete